Thursday, August 4, 2011

Small Arduino using AtMega8

Few days ago I’ve bought Atmel Mega 8 chip and I’ve decided to create some sort of small Arduino.


I’ve got one Altoids Smalls can available so I wanted to create Arduino so small it could fit into the can. I’ve used just prefboard, but I think it’s great. All needed pins are accessible. After I’ve done soldering there was just one more thing to do: burn bootloader. There are several ways how to burn bootloader, easiest how to achieve that is with use of parallel port. However my PC don’t have one, so I’ve decided to program my Arduino Duemilanove as AVR programmer. If you chose this option be aware that it doesn’t have to work first time. I myself burned bootloader 3 or 4 times. After you have burned bootloader you need just one more thing and that is TTL to RS-232 adapter to be able to program the chip. I’ve used my XBEE-USB adapter which has got FTDI chip. I’ve got one more AtMega8 so I’ll probably create other Arduino it was kinda fun and I’ve spared some money.



7 comments:

  1. Do you have a schematic for this? This is exactly what I am looking for I don't want to include a whole arduino in my final design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I forgot about that, this should help you : http://todbot.com/blog/2009/05/26/minimal-arduino-with-atmega8/

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much for the link.

      Delete
  2. Well I see my last comment in your earlier post was not needed. You're all over this pp and bootloader stuff. I guess I should finish going through all your posts before I start commenting. HA. Or I should read them backwards but what is the fun in that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't matter, I never had real education in electronics, almost everything I know, I learned myself, so post like yours definitely expand my view so thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Nice project!
    Maybe you want to check out tinyUSBboard, too.
    It is an Arduino compatible board with an onboard USB-Interface. It does not need any serial programmer. (Not even for updateing.) Its bootloader is exchangeable without needing ISP.
    USBaspLoader, AVRboot and HIDboot are supported by default - others can be compiled on your own...

    Maybe it is the cheapest and easiest arduino compatible board of its class, too?

    Website: http://matrixstorm.com/avr/tinyusbboard/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) But your project is way better and I can see you had put lot of time and effort into it :)

      Delete